- The Hanover Parish Council, for most Improved Property Tax Compliance;
- The Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation (KSAC), for Enhancing Own Source Revenue;
- The Portmore Municipal Council, for Innovative Efforts in Utilising the CLGF Best Practice Scheme In Enhancing the Property Tax Compliance Programme;
- The Trelawny Parish Council, for Prudent Financial Management;
- Thomas Parish Council, for Special Efforts at Improving the Welfare of the Indoor Poor;
- The St. Ann Parish Council was award for being the Local Authority that was most outstanding in Engaging Citizens’ Participation in the Affairs of Local Government;
- The Manchester Parish Council was recognized for best overall performance in Advanced Implementation of Core Local Government Reform Initiatives;
These Local Authorities were selected by a committee from the Department of Local Government based on a pre-determined set of criteria and in house statistics. The two (2) individual awards handed out were named the ‘Minister’s Award’.
Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who was unavoidably absent, was recognized for his Commitment to the Accelerated Implementation of the Local Government Reform Agenda. Mr Golding is said to have honoured his promise made during the 2007 election campaign to establish an accelerated time table for implementing agreed reform initiatives emanating from the Interim Report of the National Advisory Council (NAC).
Mr. Miller said that he had much hope for the future of local government tin Jamaica and that it has come a long way. “Obviously there are disappointments and still some challenges but we will reach the point where local government attains its full recognition”, he said .
Mr. Miller who was once town clerk in the KSAC has input in all major policy documents or legislation created for local government during the last nineteen years. These range from policy documents such as Ministry Papers 8/93 and 9/03and the NAC Report to the re-establishment of the National Advisory Council on Local Government Reform and provision of technical support. Major legislations include amendments to legislation enabling the creation of the Parochial Revenue Fund as well as the Municipalities Act.
The Local Government Awards function was the culminating activity marking the Department’s Local Government Month celebrations for 2009. Local Government Month is commemorated in November each year.