Latest News

Local Government Ministry to roll out Rural Development Programme

KINGSTON, Jamaica: The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development will this year roll out a $650 million programme aimed at improving the lives and economic well-being of rural areas.

The Rural Development Programme will begin in Chambers Pen,Hanover during the first half of the 2021/2022 fiscal year.

“The works will involve the installation of water, electricity, internet access, roads, sidewalks, community parks and indigent housing,” said Minister Desmond McKenzie during his Sectoral Presentation in the House of Representatives on May 18.

“We will use this programme to give new life to our rural communities over the next two years. It will also create temporary and permanent employment opportunities.”

Following the pilot model in Chambers Pen, Hanover; the programme will be replicated in Cheesefield, St. Catherine; Cheswick, St. Thomas; Lawrence Tavern, St. Andrew and a community in Clarendon.

Added the Minister: “We have made significant improvements to the lives of our citizens and we are committed to doing much more. This Government will not fall into complacency and set aside the trust and confidence of our people”.

Local Government Minister Expresses Sorrow For Toddler Boys Who Died In St. James Fire

KINGSTON, Jamaica (May 19, 2021): Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Honourable Desmond McKenzie, is sorrowful over the death of two toddlers who reportedly died in a fire at Barrett Hall in Lilliput, St James this morning.

 

The boys, aged three and one years, are said to have perished when their home became engulfed by the blaze sometime after 8:00am.

 

“This news is distressing. I want to express my heartfelt sympathies to the family of the little boys who lost their lives in the unfortunate incident,” stated Minister McKenzie.

 

“I also want to use this opportunity to remind Jamaicans to be extremely cautious when leaving children and young ones at home.”

 

This morning’s incident come on the heels of Tuesday’s Sectoral Presentation by the Minister where he which emphasized that the cost of house fires, industrial fires and other types of fires to the Jamaican economy and society remains very high.

 

Last year, the Fire Brigade responded to 13,784 fire calls across the island. 31 people died as a result of fires, 89 were injured and 1,676 lost their homes or were otherwise displaced.

 

“The Jamaica Fire Brigade has been making steady progress in addressing public attitudes to fire safety, through the Fire and Life Safety Programme, but I call on every Jamaican to make fire prevention a way of life.”

Local Government and Rural Development Minister Mourns Passing of Councillor Yvonne McCormack

Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Hon. Desmond McKenzie has expressed great sadness at the death of Councillor for the Greater Portmore East Division in the Portmore Municipality, Ms. Yvonne McCormack. Councillor McCormack died earlier today.

“Yvonne had been fighting Multiple Myeloma from 2014, and breast cancer since 2011. A fact that she was very open about and she did not allow these severe health challenges to keep her down; in fact she found the strength to campaign in Southern St. Catherine in the February 2016 General Election, and she campaigned victoriously to remain Councillor for her Division in the Local Government Elections in November that year. I believe that determination came not only from her strong faith, but also from her never-say-die, firebrand personality.

“Councillor McCormack was a dedicated elected representative, and her very strong presence is going to be missed in the Portmore Municipality; in fact, she was in attendance of the Monthly Council meeting up to March of this year. I extend my personal condolences to her immediate family, to the Mayor of Portmore and the Councillors of the Portmore Municipality, and to the members of her political family, the People’s National Party. She rededicated herself to Christian service, and I have no doubt that she is now not only free of pain and struggle, but also enjoying the loving countenance of the Almighty.”

Local Government and Rural Development Minister Announces Time Concession to Allow for Florists, Gift Shops and Pharmacies to Operate Until 4pm On Sunday May 9, 2021

Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, has announced that florists, gift shops and pharmacies will be allowed to operate for two hours beyond this coming Sunday’s 2pm curfew. Only persons employed to those businesses will be allowed to be at their workplace or make deliveries to customers during the hours of 2pm and 4pm on Sunday, May 9, 2021, to facilitate the creation/making of and the delivery of gifts celebrating Mother’s Day. Customers will not be allowed to be served at the business premises.

“We recognize that this year, the traditional gatherings and other expressions of love and appreciation for our mothers will not be possible, and so the Government wanted to do something practical to acknowledge the blessing of family on this most special of days in Jamaica, and indeed across the world.

“Though the management of COVID-19 continues to require the observance of the public health measures including curfews, the Government at the same time recognizes the very special emotional place that Mother’s Day has in the hearts of our people. As a mark of respect and appreciation for all our nation’s women, the I want to emphasize that this two-hour extension is exclusively for these entities and persons, to help to spread joy on Mother’s Day. Members of the public are to be off the streets at 2 pm on Sunday, as required by the Disaster Risk Management Order.

Local Government Minister Announces Resumption of Premier League Football

Local football fans will soon be able to enjoy the thrill of competition, as approval has been given for the resumption of Premier League football. The announcement was made by Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie.

 

“This decision came at the end of a meeting I chaired today involving representatives of the Ministries of Health and Wellness, and Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Premier League Clubs Association, the Jamaica Football Federation, the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management and the Social Development Commission. We have been meeting for some time, to ensure that all possible mechanisms concerning the efficient prevention and management of COVID-19 are applied to all aspects of Club competition, including the health and safety of players, referees and Club workers and administrators. Further details regarding the starting times and the conditions under which the competitions will be held, will be disclosed at a later date.

 

“Even as the management of COVID-19 remains paramount, the Government is keen for sport to resume in a phased, orderly manner, consistent with the continued reduction in the country’s positivity rate. The impact of sport on social well-being and social development is well recognized, and the Government will support all efforts to promote the enjoyment of sport in the safest way possible. In this regard, the Government is actively considering applications from a range of sporting Associations.”

Supplies Worth More Than $20 Million Going To SVG

More than $20 million worth of supplies are bound for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), as part of Jamaica’s disaster relief aid, as they continue to cope with the erupting La Soufriere volcano.

Speaking at the Kingston Wharves Terminal on April 21, where he called on the crew of the HMBS Lawrence Major, Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, said the coordinated effort is a “demonstration of Caribbean unity”.

“The Government was approached to provide assistance to the people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines… [and] we mobilised the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) to coordinate the efforts. Getting the supplies was easy, but transporting posed the difficulty that we have faced at all times when we are asked to respond, and our friends in The Bahamas have demonstrated, again, what Caribbean unity is all about,” Mr. McKenzie said.

The Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF) crew aboard the HMBS Lawrence Major responded to the call and received supplies from Jamaica on April 21 and will be transporting them to St. Vincent and the Grenadines on behalf of Jamaica. The vessel leaves port 9:00 a.m. on April 22 for its journey to the eastern Caribbean.

Mr. McKenzie thanked the private- and public-sector entities that partnered to make the donation to SVG possible.

“I want to say a big thank you to the Jamaicans for responding in this very positive way. The Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica, the Jamaica Manufacturers and Exporters Association, Jamaica Chamber of Commerce, the Red Cross, Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Ministry of Agriculture and Food for the Poor came together and did a fantastic job in not only accepting donations and contributions from a wide cross section of Jamaicans but digging into their own resources to provide the assistance that is needed for the people in St. Vincent and the Grenadines,” he added.

Mr. McKenzie also thanked the Jamaica Defence Force for organising transport with the RBDF and helping the Government to gather supplies within the designated timeline. He also thanked the Kingston Wharves Limited, which provided berthing facilities and logistics services.

For his part, Senior Director of Preparedness and Emergency Operations at the ODPEM, Horace Glaze, said water and canned food items have been provided.

“We have also supported with tents for the purposes of emergency shelter as well as for operating in the area, and we have also provided portable toilets to support those who are evacuated and are in shelter, as well as the troops on the ground who are coordinating the evacuation and shelter efforts,” he added.

For his part, Commanding Officer of the Lawrence Major, Lt. Commander Omarv Saunders, said the RBDF is also committed to helping the SVG.

“We are called to service and we are prepared to assist St. Vincent and the Grenadines and their recovery efforts. Just not so long ago, the JDF and the Government of Jamaica assisted The Bahamas in the passage of Hurricane Dorian, so we know exactly what it is to require and need assistance. We appreciate that so much and, hopefully, we can continue to assist as best as we can,” Lt. Commander Saunders said.

Local Government Minister Announces Structure of Support for St. Vincent And the Grenadines

Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Hon. Desmond McKenzie, says Jamaica is organizing support for St. Vincent and the Grenadines, which are now being battered by the erupting La Soufriere Volcano.

“Our Government has been in contact with the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and we are organizing logistical and other forms of support to our brothers and sisters there. We are also fully aware that this devastating event has evoked great concern from our corporate and general citizenry. We are working closely with the Ministry of Agriculture and other private sector partners, which include the Jamaica Manufacturers and Exporter’s Association, to finalise relief efforts.

An account numbered 212387304, has also been opened at the National Commercial Bank, Oxford Place Branch to accept donations from the public.”

The Government is honoured to stand with the people of St. Vincent and the Grenadines in this difficult hour, and we reaffirm the concern for and the friendship we feel with them as part of the Caribbean family, as together, we see this period through until the return of normal life.

Bill passed to amend the Disaster Risk Management Act (DRMA)

KINGSTON, Jamaica: The amendments to the Disaster Risk Management Act (DRMA) allowing for sanctions for infringements under the Covid-19 protocols have been passed to statute.

The Bill to amend the DRMA was passed on Tuesday evening (March 30, 2021) with three amendments and will introduce enforceable penalties against persons who commit breaches under the Act. The fines range from J$3000 to J$500,000.

Local Government and Rural Development Minister, Honourable Desmond McKenzie, piloted the Bill in the Lower House on March 23.

“These amendments to the Disaster Risk Management Act are clear, and they have been crafted in pursuit of clear objectives. The circumstances in which the Act can be invoked have been expanded, to ensure that the Government has at all times, the legislative authority within which it can respond swiftly to challenges and secure the interests of the population,” he said.

“At the same time, these changes set out clear sanctions for those who undermine the mission of balancing lives and livelihoods through personal and other forms of irresponsibility, and who, at this point in time, are hindering the effort to save lives, in the face of rising numbers of infections and hospitalizations.”

The Senate passed the Bill to amend the DRMA during its sitting on March 26.

“It has been just over one year since the Coronavirus pandemic made an unwelcome arrival in Jamaica. Since March 10, 2020, the Government has employed the Disaster Risk Management Act as the primary legislative tool to manage this public health crisis,” added Minister McKenzie.

“With respect to the matter of these fixed penalties or fines, I wish to make one thing very clear. These penalties do not replace the sanctions for offences that are already in the principal Disaster Risk Management Act. Anyone who commits an offence, and who is brought to court and convicted before a Resident Magistrate, is still liable to a maximum fine of one million dollars or to imprisonment not exceeding one year.”

PLEASE SEE TIER OF OFFENCES AND PENALTIES

Local Government Minister Outlines Special Plans For Easter Weekend Lockdown

Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Honourable Desmond McKenzie, is giving the assurance that preparations are in place to facilitate several special-interest groupings during the extended lockdown over the easter weekend.

Minister McKenzie states that the arrangements are in place to accommodate the homeless population across the country.

“We will be providing food supplies for the homeless during the extended period of lockdown. In fact, all the Drop-In Centres and similar facilities islandwide operated under the Municipal Corporations will be opened to assist persons who normally access them for meals and medical services. The initiative to construct these facilities began in 2018 under our social protection programme as a means of providing a safe haven for the homeless and mentally-challenged,” he explains.

“Additionally, last weekend’s special feeding programme saw more than 5000 meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner provided for the homeless right across the country. This is in keeping with the range of measures in place to address the vulnerable during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

The islandwide curfew will begin at 8:00pm on Thursday, April 1 with a lockdown on Good Friday, April 2, 2021. On Saturday, April 3; the curfew hours will begin at 12 noon until 5:00am on Tuesday, April 6. During the lockdown, citizens must remain at their places of abode.

Opening of Gas Stations

The Local Government and Rural Development Minister says that gas stations will be permitted to operate during the lockdown hours to facilitate the essential services and other authorised persons who are allowed to move about.

“Gas stations will not be opened to the general public, and those persons who are allowed to move about during the lockdown periods are asked to have proper forms of identification. Gas station operators are reminded that only petroleum products are to be sold during these special hours of business.”

Trucking of Water

Minister also adds that arrangements are in place for the trucking of water to areas that will require the commodity during the Easter Weekendlockdown. The Municipal Corporations and the National Water Commission (NWC) will be spearheading this project.

“I also want to use this opportunity to emphasize that there should be no gatherings for parties, round robins or any cookouts. Please remember to continue wearing your masks; maintain six-feet social distance, and use a sanitiser where you cannot readily wash your hands with soap and water. The security forces will be out in communities to enforce the protocols that have been announced.”

Local Government Minister Mourns the Passing of Councillor Derron Wood

Hon. Desmond McKenzie, Minister of Local Government and Rural Development has expressed sadness at the passing of the Councillor for the Fairy Hill Division in Portland, Derron Wood. Councillor Wood died in hospital earlier today.

“It is a bitter blow for us in the Jamaica Labour Party family. Derron was a popular and highly respected Councillor, who served the people of Fairy Hill in that capacity for nearly 18 years. He emerged as a new Councillor in 2003, when we won the Local Government Elections as a party in Opposition. He made such an impact throughout Eastern Portland that by 2016, he was the party’s candidate for the General Election. Though he did not win, he put his energy into the campaign to support the current Member of Parliament. I know that she is hurting, the Portland Municipal Corporation family is in pain, and people all over Eastern Portland are grieving.

“It was just under six months ago that we lost Councillor Irwin Brown from the Fellowship Division in the same Constituency. I salute the work and the very visible legacy that Derron Wood has left in Eastern Portland and especially in the Fairy Hill Division. He has cemented himself into the modern history of local governance in this part of Portland, and he is already being greatly missed. No words can ease the pain of his passing, but I offer especially to his family, the assurance that he lived an exemplary life, and has made his parish a better place because he stepped forward to serve.”